Sunday, December 13, 2009

Yes, I do like indie and no I am not a snob/have no friends/slit my wrists

A fellow I once upon a time fancied and I would often have this conversation about our common love of music but one thing we never agreed upon is my love of 'depressing' music. This 'depressing' music is known by the many as alternative or indie music. They are depressing (yes I love joy division, yes it is depressing, yes ian curtis killed himself; I know I know I know) yet these songs make us feel connected to one another - when all appears to be falling apart (surely enough it happens a fair bit) somewhere out there someone else has felt those same emotions. A new love in your life that feels so familiar and safe? My favourite book. Just been dumped? Merry Happy. Moving on? Dog days. A relationship falling apart? Synchronized sinking. Feeling lost and just generally a bit down? Anything by Joy Division (or the cure or a million other indie bands). The thing is, yes, maybe the topics are depressing but aren't they realities of life? & shouldn't we have some kind of blanket to make us feel less alone. Some would argue its conformity but when you've made me feel less than I am worth then I want someone that just gets me and much of the time one of these artists has put pen to paper and turned it into a song. Yes, I do love a good beat and a fun song to let loose to but music is a wonderful form of therapy and has got me through some of the worst of times and provided me closure when they didn't or the sympathy from friends just wasn't enough. So for this I will always have a soft spot and a love of indie/alternative music and as much as I adore a good beat I will not turn my back on what has nursed me through tears, my wanting to punch you in the face and many other various emotions caused by all the people that float in and out of my life.



until next time,
much love xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment