Thursday, July 30, 2009

From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea - The Cure

Every time we do this I fall for her,
wave after wave after wave, it's all for her I know this can't be wrong I say
(and I’ll lie to keep her happy)as long as I know that you know
that today I belong, right here with you, right here with you...

and so we watch the sun come up from the edge of the deep green sea
and she listens like her head's on fire, like she wants to believe in me, so I try
put your hands in the sky, surrender, remember, we'll be here forever and we'll never say goodbye...

I’ve never been so colourfully-see-through-head before
I’ve never been so wonderfully-me-you-want-some-more
and all I want is to keep it like this you and me alone
a secret kiss and don't go home don't go away
don't let this end please stay not just for today

never never never never never let me go she says
hole me like this for a hundred thousand million days
but suddenly she slows and looks down at my breaking face, why do you cry? What did I say? But it's just rain I smile brushing my tears away...

I wish I could just stop, I know another moment will break my heart
too many tears, too many times, too many years I’ve cried over you

how much more can we use it up? Drink it dry? Take this drug?
Looking for something forever gone but something we will always want?

Why why why are you letting me go? she says, I feel you pulling back
I feel you changing shape... and just as I’m breaking free
she hangs herself in front of me,slips her dress like a flag to the floor
and hands in the sky, surrenders it all...

I wish I could just stop, I know another moment will break my heart
too many tears, too many times, too many years I’ve cried for you
it's always the same, wake up in the rain, head in pain, hung in shame
a different name, same old game, love in vain
and miles and miles and miles and miles and miles away from home again...



It was by chance that I picked up The Cure's album Wish ('92) and popped it into my cd player and let it run through and for some reason for a change I found myself really listening to the lyrics. There is something about this song that just felt so... the only word I can think of is profound. It just made me feel. I hope you listen to it and it moves you as much as it did me.

1 comment:

  1. well it wasn't really chance i mean you have it sitting in your care package from when you were swiney the probability was fairly high. ;)

    i <3 a letter to elise. and open, mostly for the guitar.

    ReplyDelete